Free shipping for orders of $150 or more
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups cold unsalted butter or solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup ice cold water
1 tablespoon vinegar
5 cups apples, peeled, cored and thinly slice
¾ cup granulated sugar (more or less depending on the sweetness of the apples
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon cinnamon
ON TOP (OPTIONAL): Egg Wash - 1 egg + 1 tablespoon milk whisked together
1. In a very large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
2. Cut the butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture in the bowl. Now with a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is very crumbly and resembles coarse oatmeal.
3. In a smaller bowl, beat together the water, vinegar and egg until blended. Stir into the flour mixture, tossing gently until everything is evenly dampened and it forms a soft dough. Make sure not to stir or mash, you want the whole mess to stay lightly mixed.
4. With well-floured hands, form the dough into separate pieces, patting them into flattish disks and flouring the outsides well. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or two, or freeze to use some other time.
5. Take out the pastry and on a well-floured surface, with a rolling pin, roll out the pastry as evenly as possible until it is around 1/8 inch.
6. Carefully transfer it to the Revol pie pan, folding the pastry in half or quarters to make it easier to handle.
7. Center the pastry in the pan and gently press it into place. Trim off the excess pastry overhanging the edges of the pan. Don’t panic if you make a hole in the crust, just patch it up with a little bit of dough.
8. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the apple filling and pour into prepared pie crust.
9. Roll out the remaining pastry on a well-floured surface and either cut strips to make the lattice, or leaves depending on preference.
10. Optional: Using a pastry brush, brush on the egg wash.
11. Preheat oven at 375ºF and bake for 60 minutes or until golden brown on top.
12. Remove pie from oven and let it stand to cool slightly before serving with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!!